Importance of Legislation
We are often surprised when we take over a new property that many landlords are still unaware of the amount of current and new legislation which affects their properties and tenancies.
Gone are the days when you can print a free Tenancy Agreement online and just move a tenant in to your property – if you do you may find it very difficult to evict the tenant in the future and you will certainly be in breach of the many regulations which now need to be applied.
When we set up a new tenancy there are several steps which need to be followed, these briefly include:
• Ensuring no administration fees are taken from tenants or guarantors.
• Making sure the holding deposit taken (if any) complies with the Tenancy Fees Act 2019
• Supply the tenants with a copy of the Tenancy Agreement which should be up to date and comply with current legislation
• Ensure no more than a five-week deposit is taken (rents under £50,000 per year)
• Ensure the property has working smoke alarms on all floors and a carbon monoxide tester if solid fuel is used
• Issue the tenants with a copy of the EPC, Electrical Installation Report, Gas Test, The Governments How to Rent Guide and Deposit Prescribed Information
• Protect the tenants deposit in an approved government scheme
If these steps are not taken landlords may find that they cannot serve a Section 21 Notice and be in breach of current legislation.
We ensure all new tenancies and tenancy renewals (which come under the same scope) are correctly issued and the correct documentation and tests are in place. If you would like further information please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Company Reg No. 11490107 V.A.T No. 301 9171 37 | United Lettings Group Ltd is a member of Client Money Protect for client money protection, membership number CMP003073. United Lettings Group Ltd subscribes to the Property Ombudsman redress scheme Member Number T01899. Copyright United Lettings Group Ltd 2019
Letting agents in newcastle upon tyne. Letting agents in durham. Letting agents in sunderland. Letting agents in northumberland. Letting agents in county durham. Letting agents in gateshead. Letting agents in ne1. Letting agents in ne2, Letting agents in ne3. Letting agents in ne12. Letting agents in dh1. Letting agents in dh2. Letting agents in dh3. Letting agents in dh6. Letting agents in dh7. Letting agents in dh8. Letting agents in gosforth. Letting agents in jesmond. Letting agents in heaton. Letting agents in forest hall. Letting agents in longbenton. Letting agents in killingworth. Letting agents in newcastle city centre.